A fender bender can ruin your day, but car accidents that result in serious physical injury, fatality, or other significant damages can change your life. If your accident was anything but minor, the best way to protect your rights and avoid costly mistakes is to hire an attorney who specializes in motor vehicle accidents or personal injury cases. An experienced attorney can help you effectively recover losses incurred by medical expenses, lost wages, and car repairs.
Determining fault or liability
As with other types of motor vehicle accidents, determining fault centers on the concept of ‘negligence.’ In basic terms, every driver owes a duty to all others on road to drive safely and observe the rules. Negligence occurs when drivers fail to exercise a minimum level of care, or a fail to abide by traffic rules and laws, and cause an accident.
Unfortunately, determining liability is not always easy. Many factors are often considered, including:
- Road conditions
- Connection between a driver’s conduct and the resulting injuries or damages
- Whether or not harm was foreseeable
- Percentage of liability shared amongst drivers
- Vehicle speeds or recklessness
- Levels of intoxication
- Condition of a motor vehicle involved
Because negligence and personal injury cases can often be complex, and because laws that govern traffic, vehicle and driver safety differ from state to state, legal expertise is often required.
What to Look For in a Car Accident Lawyer
- Experience with car accident cases and your specific type of injury
- Expertise of state and national transportation laws
- Successful track record of dealing with insurance and healthcare companies
- Availability, location – local lawyers / firms are generally best, as they have in-depth knowledge of local legal systems and applicable laws
- Flexible fee structure. Most attorneys typically accept cases on a contingency or “no win-no fee” basis when cases have merit, but there may be out-of-pocket expenses.
- Transparency, or a willingness to convey what a typical settlement range for cases similar to yours might be
Consider getting help when you need it
If you’d like to get learn more about your claim, take a moment to set up a free consultation with a legal representative. A qualified care accident lawyer can help you determine your next steps, protect your legal rights, and seek a fair settlement claim for your injuries or property damage.
Fill out the form at right for a free case review
OR call us toll free: (855) 567-2645